Saturday, August 05, 2006

Arc-170 construction process - Step2

Each little part was cut using this kind of tool, an old Gillette razor blade, unfortunately those blades are becoming harder and harder to find these days.

To use this toll, I just break the blade in half by folding it in the middle (it will break instantly), and I just hold one part between my fingers. This blade cuts Balsa wood like butter, which is giving me real nice cornered shape.

Because of their complexity, the 2 engines parts were the first ones to be built. They were turn on a small Unimat1 lathe, as shown on (Fig C).
This little lathe is excellent for small size parts. Pine wood is my material of choice when turning micro size part; it is cheap and easy to find anywhere. To keep the uniformity of the 2 engines, the parts were turned in one single piece. (Fig D).

Fig C







Fig D




After the engines being done, I simply build the wings, the fuselage and all the different little parts that made the ship. If anyone needs more specifics details for the construction of those parts, feel free to post a question in the comments below.

Step 3 to follow (Filling and painting). Back to Step 1

No comments: